Healthy Snacks for Hiking
As the weather continues to improve, hitting the hiking trails becomes a more appealing way to get outdoors and enjoy that gorgeous scenery we're blessed with right here in the Lower Mainland. If you haven't had a chance to hike much or are looking for some new spots, here's a great list of Amazing Day Hikes in the Vancouver area.
When packing for your hike, what’s just as important as sunscreen and water? The right energy-fuelling hiking snacks: complex carbs and proteins.
Besides the ubiqutous granola bars, here are a few healthy snack ideas to keep you nourished and feeling strong during your trek:
- Almond butter on apple slices
- Fruit such as a banana, orange slices, apple, berries (keep these smush-free in a small container)
- Hard-boiled egg
- Beef or turkey jerky (you can make your own)
- Protein or energy balls (try this variation)
- Trail mix *DIY inspiration below
Trail Mix Basic Recipe
- 1 cup almonds
- 1 cup cashews
- 1/4 cup pumpkin or sunflower seeds
- 1 handful goji berries
- 1 handful fruit juice-sweetened dried cranberries
- 1 small sprinkle of toasted coconut flakes
- 2 sun-dried organic pineapple slices (chopped)
Get out there and enjoy beautiful BC!